Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Transplant Update

I'm starting to notice the side effects of the Melphalan a bit more today.  My back is still bothering me, despite several applications of Benadryl ointment.  I took another anti-itching pill this evening, and I think it's starting to work.  Jeff suggested an ice pack, so the nurse brought me one, and that seemed to help.  It feels OK now.

I was also pretty tired today.  I guess that's no surprise, since my WBC count has dropped to 0.07, a 99% decrease from it's value 8 days ago!  Gulp!  I sure hope those new stem cells get to work generating new white blood cells soon.  My platelets have also dropped from a high of 308 to 93, which was expected.

Aside from staving off occasional diarrhea, my only other problem is I'm just not hungry.  I haven't been nauseous, but the thought of food still doesn't excite me.  I tried to eat a buffalo chicken sandwich tonight, but after 2 bites, I shitcanned it.

On the bright side, I still have no mouth sores, and I'm not in any pain.  My left leg was bothering me some yesterday, but I had the pleasure of getting a Reiki treatment last night from our friend, Denise.  It seemed to work, since the pain is gone!  Thanks, Denise!  Also, my hematocrit is hanging in at 24.9, still above the blood transfusion level of 24.  I hope that stays up there.  The doctors and nurses all say that I am doing better than most patients so far.  Let's hope that continues.

I really appreciate the time and effort many of you have taken to come visit me.  I really enjoy the company.  I may be entering a few days of not feeling in top form, but I'm always glad to have visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment