Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Cycle 10 Results

In my last post, I said I would only update my blog if my Cycle 10 results showed some anomalies. However, my latest results are still great: no detectable M-spike in my serum or urine. So I lied!

Why would I lie to you? Well, the answer is that I got a call today from the nurse, Cat, at Dana Farber with some good news. The centralized Clinical Trial Study Lab has determined that I have achieved a "Complete Response" to this treatment! That means I'm in full remission. That's excellent news!

As a refresher, a Complete Response (CR) in MM treatment is defined as the disappearance of the M-component on serum and/or urine electrophoresis with 5% or fewer plasma cells on bone marrow aspiration. 

I have been getting results from Dana Farber for several months now that I have no detectable M-Spike in either my serum or urine. Their internal criteria showed that I achieved CR at Cycle 8. However, the central Study Lab must have more sensitive equipment, as they determined that I reached CR at Cycle 10.

Now for the bad news. Dr. Richardson wants me to get another bone marrow biopsy in the next month or so. That sucks. What a pain in the butt so to speak.. Oh well, I'll just take IV drugs again to minimize the pain. I'll need to get a ride afterward, though. 

I went back to review the paper that Paul presented at the ASH conference last December. At that time, there were 18 patients enrolled in my Subcohort B3 of this Clinical Trial. Of those, only 2 had achieved a CR to the therapy. So I'm a pretty lucky guy!

3 comments: