Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Back in the Saddle Again!

I didn't update my blog last week when I got sent home for low white blood cell counts. I didn't want to scare anybody. 

I went back to DFCI yesterday hoping to resume my clinical trial treatment. Fortunately, my low white blood cell and neutrophil counts had completely recovered to their normal values. The Neupogen shot I got last Monday probably helped. I'm also feeling better from my cold, which probably also helped. So I'm back on the trial with only a one-week delay. Yes! 

While in the waiting room after my blood draw, I picked up the local weekly DFCI news magazine, "Inside the Institute". One of the articles was about a recent study that Dr. Richardson published in the New England Journal of Medicine about the effectiveness of my trial drug, Mezigdomide. The article published clinical trial results of combining Mezi with dexamethasone alone, which showed a 40-50% response rate, which is quite good. Of course, that trial preceded the one that I am now on including Daratumumab, which should provide even better results. 

I met with Alice, the trial coordinator. She told me that they are all excited about the paper on this trial that Dr. Richardson will be presenting at the American Society of Hematologists (ASH) convention in December. The results are starting to leak out, showing about an 80% response rate, and patients and oncologists from all over the world are now clamoring to get in on this trial. Unfortunately for them, the trial is closed to new patients as of now. Maybe they might open it up again...I don't know. 

Alice said that Dr. Richardson has been asked to present his paper at one of the major sessions of the conference. This is all very encouraging. I hope to be able to get a video, audio, or a transcript of his presentation. 

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! I'll update this blog when I get more news.

1 comment:

  1. Great update! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete