Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

WEGO Panel Discussion

After delays due to my disrupted travel schedule last week, we finally held the WEGO Health Network video teleconference panel discussion on Multiple Myeloma today.  Three of us participated.  I was pleased to note that one of the panelists was Pat Killingsworth.  The other panelist was Matt Goldman, an MM patient from California.  Here is a link to his blog:  http://www.mattvsmyeloma.com/.  Although I didn't know him beforehand, he is also a knowledgable and prolific blogger on MM issues.  The panel was moderated by Linda Man of WEGO, who asked us a series of questions for us to discuss.

It was a very interesting experience.  Each of us has a unique viewpoint on issues such as treatment options, how to deal with the disease, and future research directions.  We each had an opportunity to address each question.  I have no idea how the final video will turn out, but that is now in the hands of the editors.  Tomorrow I will have a chance to view some of the videos, but I don't know when the final edited version will be available.

I have to say that while I was making what I thought was my most eloquent and profound point of the session, I realized that my video camera had locked up and wasn't working.  Damn!  Sometimes technology ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Unfortunately, I sometimes had trouble hearing what the other panelists were saying (especially Matt).  I finally realized that often while someone else was talking, my camera was also recording, so there are probably times where I will be shown on a split screen just gaping stupidly at the monitor trying to figure out what they are saying.  What else might I have doing then?  Picking my nose, scratching my...well you get the picture. I sure hope those editors don't have a mean streak.

After the session, however, Linda said it was one of the best panel discussions they have had, so that's encouraging.  If it turns out well, I will post a link to the final product when it's available,  If not, well...

I have to give Pat Killingsworth credit for showing up and doing this panel discussion today.  He just found out on Monday that his MM has relapsed after less than three months of remission.  I discovered that this morning before our session by reading his latest blog post (see the link on the lower right of this screen).  What a trouper he is!  He faces all of his challenges with courage, optimism, and a can-do spirit that is an inspiration to all of his many followers, including me.  Here's to you, Pat.  Keep up the good fight.





No comments:

Post a Comment