I just came back from the dentist, and my fears have been realized. I'm going to lose my upper right eye tooth (#6). It was too badly eaten away to be saved by root canal without extensive dental surgery, which I should avoid because of my pending bisphosphonate treatments. Unfortunately, it served as one of the supports for a 3-tooth bridge, so now I will have to extend to a 4-tooth bridge to span the gap of the (soon to be) missing tooth. There was a time when I'd have given my eye teeth to get something I really wanted. I should have. Now it's going to cost me $6,175 just to get rid of one! Boy, dental insurance sure would be nice. I now have a temporary bridge to hold me over until my extraction appointment next week.
This still doesn't deal with my lower right tooth #28, which appears to have developed an abscess since having a root canal done in 2005. According to my endodontist, the root may have cracked. The unknown here is whether this is something that needs to be dealt with soon or whether it might stay this way for a long time. That one supports a bridge as well, including a cantilever that extends toward the back. If I lose that tooth (including the cantilever), I will have no molars left on that side of my mouth, making chewing a bit difficult. I can't get a new bridge there, because there is nothing left on that side to support one. It was previously determined that my jaw bone is too narrow for an implant, and besides, I don't have time for that because of my impending bisphosphonate therapy. I would probably have to have a removable denture fitted for that space. I have a decision to make here. Do I let it go and hope for the best, or have it taken out and move to Appalachia? Help me here.
All in all, these are small worries in the grand scheme of things. I just have to deal with them and move on.