Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

This and That

This winter has been a bitch.  Snow still covers a lot of our yard.  Normally, I would have been out by now fertilizing and getting ready for spring, but the vestiges of winter still surround us.  Sigh.  Sometimes I wonder why we live here.  Anyway, the next few days are supposed to be somewhat more spring like.  Whoopeedoo!

Today I had the second surgery for my squamous cell skin cancers.  I'm used to being poked and prodded, so it was no big deal.  This one was on  my right forearm.  I just hope she found the right spot to remove.  The scar on my right cheek is healing nicely, so I presume this one will as well.  Thank you, Dr. Molly MacCormack!  And you know what?  If it doesn't, I really don't care, as long as the cancer is gone.  That's the only thing that matters.

I wonder if my recent spate of skin cancers might be related to my MM therapy.  The chemotherapy drug melphalin I took to kill all my bone marrow cells prior to my transplant has been linked to secondary cancers.  In addition, the Revlimid I've been taking has also been associated with an increased risk of secondary cancers.  Could my latest bout with skin cancer be caused at least in part by my MM therapy?  Who knows?  In any case, I will continue to be vigilant about any more of these.  I have another appointment in late July with my dermatologist, Dr. Reohr.  I plan to keep on top of this.



2 comments:

  1. Happy healing and enjoy the spring weather!! Yes, must always be on the lookout for secondary cancers now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda. I plan to keep vigilant on possible new cancers. I have another scheduled appointment with my dermatologist in July.

    ReplyDelete