Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

Health Report

Last time I posted, I was pleased to report that I had escaped the infirmities of all those around me.  Well, all good things must come to an end.  I finally contracted a cold a few days ago.  Fortunately, it has been rather mild...mostly sinus congestion and a cough.  Yesterday, though, I felt kind of crappy, so I went to bed early, and by this morning I felt much better.  I think I'm getting over it without succumbing to more serious flu-like symptoms.  Usually when I get a cold like this, it lasts for many days or a week or more, but this seems like it's already on the mend.  Considering my compromised immune system, that's pretty amazing.  I hope I'm not prematurely celebrating this.  After all, tomorrow I might be singing a different tune.  But I am hopeful.

I was going to hold off on reporting on this because it might just be a flash in the pan, but I have started going back to the gym.  I belong to Planet Fitness, but I haven't used my membership much over the last year or so.  However, a couple of weeks ago, I spent an hour with their personal trainer, Jimmy, coming up with a personalized combined cardio/strength regimen.  I don't believe in New Years resolutions (you feel like shit when they inevitably fail), but this seems to be a good time to get back into the swing of things.  Gretchen has been going to the gym regularly of late, so I hope we can inspire each other to keep going.  I'm tired of looking at myself in the mirror in the morning and thinking I look like that 97-pound weakling who had sand kicked in his face by the bully in those old Charles Atlas ads.  (You have to be of a certain age to remember those ads.)  Anyway, I feel good enough to go back to the gym tomorrow morning.  Now that I have reported on this to the world, there may be some additional pressure for me to keep going so I won't have to admit to being a total fuckup.

I guess I have gotten a little overconfident about my MM treatment status lately.  Usually, I would anxiously await the pathology results from my blood and urine tests from my monthly visits.  However, it just occurred to my today that I hadn't even bothered to check online for the results from my last visit on Dec. 27.  Hello!  So I went online and found to my relief that my 24-hour urine test result still showed the same result of "No monoclonal protein detected".  Good news!  It's been over 9 months since my ASCT, and I am still doing fine.  Who knows how long this may last, so I will just take this one month at a time.




2 comments:

  1. I think it's ironic that women take up exercise to lose weight and look smaller and more svelte, whereas men say they want to "bulk up" (gain weight) and look bigger and stronger! Are we on different planets?
    Anyway, keep up the good work and FEEL BETTER!
    Sue Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true, Sue. You got your basic yin and you got your basic yang, and ne'er the twain shall meet!

    ReplyDelete