Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Homeless

Friday we passed papers to sell our beautiful home in West Newbury.  We are delighted that the new buyer, Nancy, is really excited about moving here and loves this place as much as we have for the last 10+ years.  She has graciously allowed us to be tenants here for the next several months at a very reasonable rent, which should give us time to find a new place to live.

Our realtor, Sandy, has worked tirelessly for more than a year to help us sell this house, but I have to say that our cat, Sophie, really helped in the sale.   During the showing, Sophie followed Nancy all around the property as she looked at it, and Nancy said that she knew then that it was meant to be.  Here, Sophie is letting Nancy love her up while she went through the final walk through on Thursday.  No, I'm sorry, Nancy, but Sophie is not part of the sale.  We are really happy to be able to sell this house to someone who obviously cares for it as much as we have. 

But now what?  We are now squatters in our own home.  What next?  Where do we go from here?  A house?  A condo?  A rental?   We are now really free to consider many options, but it's kinda scary.  What if we got a condo?  Would I turn into a vegetable, transfixed on my computer all day, without any chores to do, no lawn to mow, no maintenance problems to address?  I certainly hope not.  I need something to wake up to in the morning and say yay, this is what I want to do today.  What about an over-55 community?  No kids, no joyous laughter during the day, just a bunch of grumpy old people.  Yes, it might be quiet, which would be a plus, but I don't know about that.  Gretchen loves young people, and I agree.  Young people help to keep you young. I don't want to grow old(er) ungracefully.  On the other hand, we don't want to end up next door to a bunch of teenagers with a loud stereo and boisterous parties either.  I dunno.

What if we just rent?  Then we would be free to travel the world and have time to look for the perfect place for us.  We don't know what perfect is, but we certainly haven't seen anything close to it yet.  Maybe we just put all our stuff into storage and stay with friends.  (To all our friends:  Don't panic, I'm just kidding.  We won't stay long.)

I had a wonderful time sailing with my friend Lew for 4 days last week.  We sailed down Buzzard's Bay to Newport and spent 3 nights on his boat.  Good sailing, good weather, good food, great camaraderie...it was very enjoyable and relaxing.

On a health note, I had a CBC diff blood test done last week at my local PCP provider to check on my absolute neutrophil count (ANC), which was marginal on my last visit to the Farber.  I have heard nothing back yet, which I interpret as good news, so I am continuing to take my daily Revlimid dose.



2 comments:

  1. Don't think of yourself as squatters or homeless, Bill! Sophie did the trick for you; she deserves all of the treats she wants. Without her, you could not have found a buyer or even had a great deal such as this. I'm glad you had considered plenty of options for the new house. Each dwelling as its own pros and cons, so I hope you could find one that is most suitable for you. Take care!

    Arlene Keller @ ScottSauer.ca

    ReplyDelete