Search This Blog

Friday, September 6, 2013

One of Those Days

Today is one of those days.

Last week I suddenly had a pain in my right knee while just walking around the house, so I went to the doctor.  He sent me to have an x-ray and MRI, which I went to the local hospital for on Tuesday.  In the meantime, I have been hobbling around with a knee bandage for the last week.  I played 9 holes of golf yesterday walking (I'm too proud and cheap to take a cart), so the knee didn't feel so good today.  This morning,  my doctor's office called to report that I have a cartilage tear in my miniscus.  Great!  So I have scheduled an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to see what happens next.  That started my day.

My meds had run out, so I checked with Express Scripts this morning and was told I couldn't get them until October.  So I called my doctor's office and had an emergency supply sent to the local pharmacy to last me for a while.  When I went to pick them up, I had a flat tire in the parking lot.  While trying to change the tire, the lock nut was on so tight that I broke it trying to get it off.  So I called AAA (not AA), who came about 45 minutes later, and he couldn't get it off either.  So he put enough air in the tire for me to get to the local Midas, where they had to force it off with an air hammer.  By then, I realized that I needed new tires, so they put on the spare and I drove to New Hampshire to buy new tires.  But in my brute strength (yeah right!) to try to force off the lock nut, I had also broken the key to the lock nut, so they had to also forcibly remove and destroy all the other lock nuts before installing my new tires.  No more lock nuts.  If anyone wants to steal my tires, just come and get them!  After about two hours and a thousand dollars later, I was finally back on the road.  That was fun.

When I finally got home about 6:30 after my odyssey adventure to pick up my emergency prescription, Gretchen informed me that they had actually been delivered by Express Scripts last week, but she had put them aside thinking that they were hers.  Oops.  Some days are like this.  Today is one of those days.  You just have to laugh about it.

I have been very lazy about updating this blog.  I should have updated this days ago, but I wasn't feeling very creative.  I went to the Farber on Monday for my monthly checkup, and things are still good.  I didn't want to put up a blog post just saying that everything was still fine.  Yawn.

Anyway, positive changes include my white blood cell count up significantly to 4.7, and my RBC, HCT, and Hgb have all increased, indicating that my anemia is alleviating somewhat.  The only negative number is my bilirubin, which jumped to 1.7 (normal is less than 1.2).  This can be indicative of potential liver problems.  Hmmm.  I wonder if that might have anything to do with the prodigious amount of wine that I consumed during our baccanalian Labor Day weekend bash.  I'm not sure I remember all of it, but we had a great time!  Oh yes, and don't tell Dr. R.

1 comment: