Search This Blog

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Random Thoughts

Usually I have a theme to address when I update my blog, but today I don't.  I just thought I'd ramble on about what's in my head today.

It has been a beautiful summer-type day--the kind I like.  I have to admit, however, that when the temperature got to 93 degrees, even I thought it was hot.  We haven't put our air conditioners in yet, so we cooled off by fans until evening came along.  But I love this time of year.  The forsythia and lilacs have just passed, but the rhodondendrons and wild roses are in full bloom.  The grass is green, and the lawn looks like a golf course.  That's my pride and joy.  Ever since I fired the landscaper and starting taking care of it myself, it looks awesome!  I love riding around on my John Deere and mowing the lawn.  There is something Zen-like in the experience.  I have no worries or concerns.  I just want to make the lawn look good.

We just planted all the window boxes on the deck, along with other herbs and tomatoes.  It looks great.  I was sitting out on the deck this evening watching the sunset and enjoying the surroundings, when I realized what a gift today has been.  Before MM, I don't think I ever totally realized how wonderful every day on this earth can be.  But today I did.  Life is beautiful.

We have our house up for sale, as we really need to downsize to a smaller place.  We can't consider a condo, though.  What would I do without a lawn and garden to take care of?

Pat Killingsworth has posted a few updates to his website recently that have been very uplifting and inspirational.  He has suggested that if he can survive until 2020, which will be 11 years from his diagnosis, he would like to celebrate, along with other long-term survivors, for a social weekend at an island in the Caribbean.  I think it's a great idea, so I responded to his blog.  After my response, he thought maybe we could move this up to next year.  Here is his response on his blog:  Tropical get together.  I think this would be really fun.  I hope we can make it happen.

 The annual ASCO conference is now ongoing in Chicago.  The most exciting news in anti-cancer therapy these days is the success of immunotherapies using monoclonal antibodies.  There are a lot of exciting developments with a number of cancers, but the Multiple Myeloma community is focused mostly on elotuzumab and daratumumab, both of which have shown great promise in initial clinical trials.  As the conference proceeds, I will update with any important information for us MM patients.





7 comments:

  1. Bill,

    As you know we have what I call a Newburyport Condo. The nice thing for you to have is it does have a yard to take care of AND it would be a downsize from your present estate. If you want, come on over and make believe. Ours needs a cut and trim. We do have O'Douls in the frig. Please bring Gretch with you. :-)

    We are happy you are still on this planet!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer, Andy, but I'll take a pass this time.

      Delete
  2. I know all these drugs are so important to keep MM at bay but I wish they would talk more about finding a cure .Our daughter is 34, diagnosed last year. I am thankful for the meds but so afraid of what they are doing to her body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrij - I'm sorry about your daughter. I know the researchers are looking hard for that elusive cure for MM, but in the meantime, those who achieve CR with the current drug therapies may go off maintenance drugs all together if their remission lasts a couple of years. Right now, I'm on daily Revlimid (5 mg) and monthly Zometa infusions. The current plan is to stop the Zometa next year and stop the Rev in 2 years if I stay in remission. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should start an annual get together NOW and see how high you can count them! Don't wait until 2020, just keep going from now until and after 2020! Don't put off, etc. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue,I agree with you. I think starting this social reunion event next year sounds like a great idea. Perhaps February 2014 in Florida would be a good time to plan the first get-together. We could tie it in with a visit to you and Steve in Cape Coral! Wouldn't that be awesome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did perk up when you mentioned Florida! It would be awesome to share our little pad with you guys and help you get away from blizzards, etc. for awhile! (As long as you want!)

      Delete