Search This Blog

Saturday, January 19, 2013


Jason U., Brian, Jason, Christine, Jeff, and me
I realize it has been over a week since I last posted.  Where has the time gone?  Last Sunday I went to the Patriots playoff game against the Houston Texans with sons Jeff, Brian, and Jason, along with Brian's childhood friend, Jason U., and Jeff's girl friend, Christine.  The temperature was in the 50s, so it was ideal for tailgating.  We had a blast, made even more enjoyable by the Patriots victory.  Good food, good company, good game...what more could one ask?

I went to the game despite the fact that I had been fighting a cold.  Fortunately, I suffered no ill effects, and I've been getting steadily better since.  However, Gretchen then came down with whatever seems to be going around, and she hasn't been feeling well most of this week.  I think we're both now finally out of the woods and on the mend.  Considering my compromised immune system, I have been very fortunate to have avoided any serious infections or viruses so far.  The AFC Championship game is tomorrow in Foxborough, but discretion being the better part of valor, I've decided to watch this one from home.

Here it is, more than half way through January and I'm still going to gym 3-4 times a week.  What perseverance!  I spend about a half hour on the exercise bike for cardio, and then another half hour on the strength equipment and weights.  I'm starting to feel the difference.  I hope I can stick to this.  It helps that Gretchen has been going regularly as well, so we can help motivate each other to keep it up.  Gretchen's friend, Barbara, admonished me that I haven't given her credit on my blog for my going to the gym, since she is the the one who got Gretchen to go, and I followed.  OK, so here's kudos to Barbara.  However, if for some reason I end up dropping out, I'll try to find a way to blame it on her.  (Just kidding, Barbara!)

I don't go back to DFCI until next week.  It seems like it has been a long time.  It's very interesting that during the time we were going back and forth to DFCI a couple of times a week, it almost became our second home.  We became very close and comfortable with the entire staff.  It became a normal routine.

When my condition improved to the point that I only had to go in on a monthly basis,  we were both somewhat ambivalent.  On the one hand, I was thrilled that I have been able to go on maintenance therapy without having to meet with Dr. Richardson any more.  However, there was also a feeling of missing one's family.  Apparently, this is a common occurrence.  My transplant nurse, Muriel, likened it to withdrawing from crack!  Don't get me wrong.  I have no desire to regress back to the point where I have to start frequent therapy again.  That time will probably come soon enough.  It's just interesting to note how one responds to change.


  1. So apparently, you should have gone to the game like last week - maybe then the Pats would have won! :)