Search This Blog

Friday, August 5, 2011

Pan-Mass Challenge

Today I went into Dana Farber for a blood draw, and I took this picture from Jimmy Fund Way.  As you may know, the Jimmy Fund has provided charitable support for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute for more than 60 years.  One of the major sources of contributions to the Jimmy Fund is the Pan-Mass Challenge, the nation's original fund-raising bike-a-thon.  Since 1980, the Pan-Mass Challenge has raised more than $300 million for cancer research at DFCI and is now its single largest contributor.

Tomorrow, my good friend, Dave Poulin, will be participating in his 4th Pan-Mass Challenge, riding from Sturbridge to Provincetown over 2 days.  He rides in honor of his mother, who died of cancer.  I have been supporting Dave in his rides, and for the past 2 years, he has also been riding in memory of my brother, Michael, who finally succumbed to cancer after a long and courageous fight.

On the eve of Dave's ride, I could not help but stand at this bridge and note the irony that I now find myself on the other side of this wonderful fund-raising venture.  I invite you to visit Dave's PMC website :

http://www.pmc.org/profile/DP0134

My other very good friend, Bobby Mandolese, also rode in the PMC a few years ago, and he now rides in the annual Tour-de-Cure to raise money for diabetes.   I think we all owe Dave and Bobby, and others like them, a debt of gratitude for the time and energy they have put into raising money for these worthy causes.  I know that I, for one, am very grateful.  Thank you, Dave.  Thank you, Bobby.

1 comment: